Thursday, December 15, 2011

two skirt refashions

Once upon a time, two days ago, there was a men's shirt that wasn't being worn. Not anymore, y'all.


The shirt is Patagonia brand so it's very well made. Its content is 55% hemp and 45% organic cotton, basically my dream fabric. I love hemp fabric, I do. It lasts forever. I also respect Patagonia's environmentalism and the lengths they go to use sustainable textiles & responsible manufacturing processes. I think they'd appreciate my refashioning efforts.

There are a few tutorials around the sewing blogosphere on how to make a skirt from a men's shirt (see here, here and here). 


Here's my basic run-down:
- I kept the side seams, bottom hem and button placket intact. 
- I made the waistband from the shirt's yoke (top back), using a skirt pattern I have that I knew would fit.
- I cut off another piece of the remaining button placket to use on the waistband, and stitched it on the front center so it would align. 
- I gathered the top edge of the front and back pieces to fit the waistband.
- I used one of the sleeves to make belt loops.




The waistband facing is bright blue cotton scrap.







That's that one.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And now for another...


This was a very large black corduroy jumper from the 1970s (or so they say). I got it for $5 from the "rough rack" at the local vintage thrift store. 


I used Simplicity 2152, view E. I added an inch to the overall length, but it's still a bit shorter than the model's.




I didn't lap the zipper in center back, and instead left the gold teeth exposed. What can I say, playas gonna play.


It's a nice simple pattern, and came together really quickly and easily. I'm just glad to have an office-appropriate black skirt now. My last attempt at making a corduroy skirt was an epic fail, too, so I'm glad this one worked out.

Apparently my hair is red today.
For the waistband facing I used a cotton print in my stash. The cord would have been too bulky.



During this time of major material consumption for the holidays, I hope you find some ways to reuse and repurpose as well. It's much more gratifying!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

linked to: